To password protect your website folder with shell command:-
- Create a file name .htaccess in the folder that you want to password protect with the content below:-
AuthName "Password Protect Directory"
<Limit GET POST PUT>
- In shell type:-
htpasswd -c /home/username/.htpasswd your_desire_username
You will be prompt for a new password.
- Once you enter your password, file with name .htpasswd will be created at /home/username directory and now your website folder has been password protected
- Open your browser and try to access your password protected folder. It should now ask you to login now.
To password protect directory with CPanel Hosting Control Panel:-
- Login into your CPanel and click on Password Protect Directories
- Once you click on Password Protect Directories, you will see a list of directories
- Click on the directory that you wish to password protect
- Fill in a Username and Password at the bottom of the page, and click Add / modify authorized user
- Once user created successfully, just click “Go Back”
- Now, Check the Directory requires a password to access via the web
- Fill in Protected Resource Name, actually this is just the message that will show in the login window
- then, Highlight the user you just created from the Active Users list and click on Save button below the Protected Resource Name
- You are Done! The directory you just select has been protected by password.
- To ensure you directory has been password protected, launch you browser and visit the folder, if browser prompt you to login, your directory has been protected by password!